Got it! I looked at the generated ASM and figured out that DS was being ASSUMEd to a symbol called “DGROUP”; so I just explicitly set DS to that at the start of the callback and no more crashy!
I am definitely doing something to confuse CuteMouse’s cursor-drawing routine though... probably it assumes I have writing to all four planes enabled https://mastodon.social/media/uax66anGIreYRARWjGs
Well, definitely that, but it also plays _very_ badly with my page flipping implementation - you can see it writing into video memory when I’m flipped to the second page! sooo I guess I’ll be drawing my own damn mouse cursor https://mastodon.social/media/QGLwPAjaEOSkSqTnnq4
I’ve been pondering scrolling for a few days, and whether I could figure out how to write a huge smooth-scrolling playfield or whether I’d just flip from one screen to the next. This evening it occurred to me that surely at some point the Commander Keen source code must’ve been released and I could just see how they handled scrolling. And indeed Keen Dreams is GPLed! https://github.com/keendreams/keen
Hmmmm this is... a little overwhelming. Lots of extra stuff that makes me wonder if I’m missing something important. Gotta keep in mind that it’s an entire game, after many rounds of optimization, instead of a week’s worth of occasional hacking, and my slower, dumber code can still lead to an outcome I’m happy with.
Keen keeps track of which 16x16 tiles are dirty via a dirt-simple byte array where they mark each tile position 1 or 0 - because only 21x15 tiles are onscreen, this only costs a few hundred bytes and is a huge optimization. I’ll probably steal this idea. (Extremely common retroprogramming pattern that has basically disappeared from modern computing: knowing there are, at most, N of something, where N is small.)
The tiles are redrawn by copying from what the code refers to as the “master screen”, which is an area of video memory after the two pages.
I don’t know how this memory is structured, but I don’t really need to - because of the page sizes, I know that a full redraw into a page MUST happen regularly without slowing everything down. So as long as the tiles live in video memory and I have a reasonably efficient copy loop I should be fine.
Also thanks to @darius reminding me of its existence I now have Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement running on my 286, along with John Romero’s tilemap editor, and I’m kinda thinking it’d be fucking rad to use it to build my maps instead of slogging through writing my own
Implemented my tile-blitting speedup
Pro: it is indeed much faster
Con: don't quite have all the bugs worked out yet https://mastodon.social/media/LEqZ5yj7ynPKv3PK5YU
Trying to figure out how to efficiently draw semitransparent sprites in EGA. It is... not as simple as I thought. Reading the Graphics Programming Black Book chapters about fast animation and some of the methods he's describing are absurd - chapter 43 is like "if you don't mind having every sprite be 1 colour and only using 5 colours total, here's a neat trick" and no actually I do mind those constraints, that's not helpful advice
Michael Abrash: Here’s how you reprogram the PC’s timer, but be warned! It will fuck with your system clock until it reboots! Here’s exactly what happens for this particular application and why
André LaMothe: yolo just chain your ISRs and shit will probably work out? Don’t worry about it, paste the code in, I don’t have time to explain and you don’t care. Also let’s just run all of your game logic in the timer interrupt handler, this is how multitasking works, what could go wrong
Oof! Got it. Two bugs conspired to cause a stack overflow:
* if a task was set to have its output ignored, it was leaving each character on the parameter stack. So the silent loading of the base definitions would leave a bunch of junk on the stack if there was any output. Usually there isn’t, so I didn’t notice.
* I added a definition that contained a comment before I defined the word that interprets comments, so the interpreter dumped a bunch of errors on the stack trying to figure THAT out
went to implement simple text drawing yesterday but ended up writing Jorth code to do animation lerps
managed to successfully write a word that takes five parameters on the stack, so I assume I'll be receiving some sort of Forth Programmer Certificate of Achievement in the mail soon
(Jorth still has no words that can touch anything on the stack beyond the top three values)
@rick_777 dst, src: yes. s and o were debugging helpers to try to verify that the registers were changing after the int statement, and that the C variables being updated by the assembly. Answer: s and o got overwritten with the pre-call values as expected, but the other two C variables never got touched.
I posted a reply with the eventual solution, if you’re curious.
ｃｙｂｒｅｓｐａｃｅ: the social hub of the information superhighway
jack in to the mastodon fediverse today and surf the dataflow through our cybrepunk, slightly glitchy web portal