Thread: setting up a customized environment for text editing. (see https://vastnope.wordpress.com/2017/12/17/adventures-in-text-editing/ and https://vastnope.wordpress.com/2017/12/22/adventures-in-text-editing-whats-next/)
First, I'll try grabbing powerline. Current status: installed some stuff with pip and brew, now installing A LOT of fonts.
Okay, I got most of A LOT of fonts. Now to pick one. Looks like D2Coding is the best fit for the ridiculous thing I am attempting.
Okay, some of that looks... weird. But onward!
Oh geez, powerline doesn't support NeoVim. Shows what happens if I just charge forward blindly, I guess.
I'm going to see what airline needs, if anything.
It needs... what powerline needs. Or, a subset of it. I'll leave the font setting on for now, and look into setting up powerline with tmux later.
Okay, I followed the installation instructions for dein, and it, is... broken.
... Why did something in this chain of things insert a linebreak in the middle of a GitHub URL? That doesn't help me.
Okay, that's more like it. Just unset the default plugins, and let's take a look at some things.
Okay, let's try that again. Just adding the repo path to dein didn't seem to do it...
OH! "Uncomment the following lines in your init.vim file" The problem was the dein was apparently more polite than I was expecting.
Okay, color-scheme-wise, this is... not great, so far. The solution is probably MORE PLUGINS.
Aw dangit, it's not working on the monstrosity of a code style I got into vim to try out.
Wow, the default syntax groups for Python appear to be very bad for my purposes. Or a lot of purposes? Attributes don't detect as *anything*? I beg your pardon?
Current status: very confused.
Installed signify. I'll... come back to it. Needs some help or adjustment.
Tried to get powerline working. Bad luck so far. Next, I'm going to go through all of the plugins I installed.
I got powerline working. It seems like nothing short of a total restart of tmux helped?
Anyway, then I discovered that python-mode's folding is failing in surprising ways. I'm going to focus on getting the rest of things set up while I wait for the bug to be resolved.
Realized that I was evaluating fonts wrong. Currently using Input Mono Narrow Extra Light. All of these fonts don't look PRECISELY RIGHT with powerline. Monofur looked the best, I think, but I didn't like how its ASCII characters looked, so... there we go.
... Powerline looked bad because the dark background I was using messed with the symbol rendering. I'm going to try to darken the basic theme a little, at least.
Wrong again. The problem was that transparency wasn't applyin the powerline symbols, which makes sense. ... I wonder if I can have transparent text.
🚨 BREAKING NEWS 🚨
I switched from Extra Light to Thin. This is of no importance to anyone except probably my future self.