Problems we are having with #Signal:
* It is and will remain centralized (clear strategy of *not* federating servers)
* It requires strong identifiers/selectors (phone#) to use
* Author disallows distribution by anyone but Google, although free/libre
* It keeps pushing away verification of fingerprint in interface
* It relies on Google+Amazon infrastructure
* Its funding is shady (OTF = Radio Free Asia = USG)
= clearly unethical choices, unjustifiable by accessibility or technological reasons.
@mray @bob @jz Delta chat seems creative but very silly... they make it sound like creating an account is this HUGE hurdle/problem. And like I guess? But it doesn’t stop most people. On one hand it’s clever to use encryption(pgp?) over email as the IM transport, but that also seems very convoluted and complex? Which leads to problems.
If I want a secure chat, I’d just use like Tox or Ricochet that’s been designed from the bottom up to be secure.
I’m not trying to attack this project, I think the idea is cool, just seems like there’s better solutions already and energy would be better spent improving those?? But that a FLOSS community problem.
Cybrespace is an instance of Mastodon, a social network based on open web protocols and free, open-source software. It is decentralized like e-mail.