Problems we are having with #Signal:
* It is and will remain centralized (clear strategy of *not* federating servers)
* It requires strong identifiers/selectors (phone#) to use
* Author disallows distribution by anyone but Google, although free/libre
* It keeps pushing away verification of fingerprint in interface
* It relies on Google+Amazon infrastructure
* Its funding is shady (OTF = Radio Free Asia = USG)
= clearly unethical choices, unjustifiable by accessibility or technological reasons.
If you want alternative desktop clients written in your own language or integrating with your favorite messaging client, it isn't some impossible feat to build. Finn and a few other Seattlites have been working on bots and integrations like Weechat, I'd encourage you to poke around. Signald is pretty user friendly by the way!
Cybrespace is an instance of Mastodon, a social network based on open web protocols and free, open-source software. It is decentralized like e-mail.