yo, i'm mostly on @csepp nowadays, because this timeline is getting overwhelming and i want a clean start.
probably follow me there if you want to. i don't post much original stuff here now.
i might not follow you back from that account though, at least not until i put together a client that makes larger follow lists more manageable to sift through.
groundbreaking research unearths new evidence to support the revolutionary claim that "essentially, you don't need to be an asshole to be funny"
now the researchers are investigating whether the conjecture "and being an asshole doesn't improve your jokes either" is true, but they predict it is, and point to the heaps of empirical data that already supports the claim
follow my very cool partner in crime:
ve does art and needs the pressure of having followers to improve even more 😛
@syntacticsugarglider Don't look for "Computer Science", look for informatics and mathematical logic. And similarly, don't waste your time with "Economics", look for "Operation Research" etc. instead. Some words are just either stolen or made solely for marketing.
fed up with industry-motivated intro cs courses and the weird false dichotomy that's presented in like... the cargo-culty pseudo-PLT overview that people get in those courses
recent assignment for uni basically had us implement scheme list-update and then also do the "same thing" in java by just indexing & mutating and i honestly just felt that was so disingenuous that i submitted a huge rant with my response
it's insane to me that we still don't teach lenses and continue to peddle these lies
"Years ago some journalist described the Icelandic banking crisis this way: imagine you have a dog and I have a dog and I agree your dog is worth a billion dollars and you agree my dog is worth a billion dollars, so we trade dogs and then announce that our combined worth is now two billion dollars. Bitcoin is like that, only the dogs don't exist."
❝Since her death in 1979, the woman who discovered what the universe is made of has not so much as received a memorial plaque. Her newspaper obituaries do not mention her greatest discovery. […] Every high school student knows that Isaac Newton discovered gravity, that Charles Darwin discovered evolution, and that Albert Einstein discovered the relativity of time. But when it comes to the composition of our universe, the textbooks simply say that the most abundant atom in the universe is hydrogen. And no one ever wonders how we know.❞ — Jeremy Knowles, discussing the complete lack of recognition Cecilia Payne gets, even today, for her revolutionary discovery. (via alliterate)
OH WAIT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT CECILIA PAYNE
• Cecilia Payne won a scholarship to Cambridge.
• Cecilia Payne completed her studies, but Cambridge wouldn’t give her a degree because she was a woman, so she said to heck with that and moved to the United States to work at Harvard.
• Cecilia Payne was the first person ever to earn a Ph.D. in astronomy from Radcliffe College, with what Otto Strauve called “the most brilliant Ph.D. thesis ever written in astronomy.”
• Not only did Cecilia Payne discover what the universe is made of, she also discovered what the sun is made of (Henry Norris Russell, a fellow astronomer, is usually given credit for discovering that the sun’s composition is different from the Earth’s, but he came to his conclusions four years later than Payne — after telling her not to publish).
• Cecilia Payne is the reason we know basically anything about variable stars (stars whose brightness as seen from earth fluctuates). Literally every other study on variable stars is based on her work.
• Cecilia Payne was the first woman to be promoted to full professor from within Harvard and the first woman to head a science department at Harvard. She also inspired entire generations of women to take up science.
• Cecilia Payne is awesome and everyone should know her.
@Curator We are also currently on the look out for an artist to work with. A paid gig to do the cover for the album
The album's planned to be released on CD. How fantastic
But the artist we would like to work with HAS to fall under at least one of these:
* female identifying
No straight whites dudes, please
We want to work with talent that hasn't had this chance before. There is enough time given to the wrong people
Time for change & give others a chance
Like I applaud your motivations but RUN
RUN RUN RUN
THIS IS WHY HALF THE PEOPLE ON REDDIT ARE STILL ON REDDIT
"I'll upvote the good stuff and downvote the bad stuff because this is an Important Website and there should be good people on it so that when the media runs a -" RUUUUUUNNNNNN
"If I leave, then there'll be one less good person on the site, and sooner or later it'll just become -" IT'S TOO LATE ALREADY RUNNNNNN
THE MONSTER IS BEHIND YOU AND IT'S GOT YOUR ANKLES!
Help me pay some bills and get some music about making cyberpunk actually PUNK!
well now it's so late that i'm worried about waking the doggo up. so i guess we'll go tomorrow during the almost-full-but-not-quite moon.
@grainloom steampunk cosplayer orders grits but a flock of crows descend, eat all of his food, and linger about to chat amongst themselves while he gets increasingly annoyed.