Well, based on my preliminary research, to mirror the FMA we need:
1. An estimation of the size of the FMA (number of tracks, and total size of files)
2. A funkwhale instance were we can import the music
3. A script to crawl/download the whole archive
4. Permission from the FMA to run the script (since it may increase their bandwidth cost)
5. Funding to cover the hosting costs, if relevant
Just to let you know, following our discussion from last week, I'v started writing a small utility to grab the FMA content from archive.org.
I plan to mirror at least a part of the FMA on open.audio using this :)
So, I've imported ~25Gb of music from the Free Music Archive on https://open.audio using this method.
It worked beautifully, and it's now available for the whole #Funkwhale federation. Follow this library from your Funkwhale instance and you'll have access to it:
You can also visit https://open.audio/library/ directly to listen to all this new content! (you don't need an account ;)
This import went well too, and I launched another mirrorring tasks for 4000 additionnal albums before going to sleep yesterday.
All of this is currently importing into https://open.audio, but I'm confident saying that in a ~60 minutes, almost 350Gb of additionnal CC music (6000 albums, 40K tracks) from the FMA will be available!
In total, I'd say we have roughly 40% of the FMA mirrored on open.audio, which takes less space than I initially expected.
Cybrespace is an instance of Mastodon, a social network based on open web protocols and free, open-source software. It is decentralized like e-mail.