The account of the Assam Police has been suspend from this instance.
We decided that we will not welcome cops on this instance, and we encourage the rest of the fediverse to do the same.
Following multiple reports, we decided that it's more important that our community feels safe and in security, than to be a platform for official communication.
Thank you !
LGB, Suicide mention (+)
Suicide rates for people in same-sex relationships fall after marriage discrimination falls. Who’d have thunk it? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/14/suicide-rates-fall-after-gay-marriage-laws-in-sweden-and-denmark
I'm reading a bunch of old pulp adventure stories by Harold Lamb, from the early 1920s. It gets a bit samey but it's interesting to compare them with Robert Howard, who was writing in what's clearly the same genre about a decade later. Lamb's a better writer in most ways, but he lacks Howard's vivid energy and conviction, which makes him less interesting... and he's less melodramatic too.
(He's also noticeably less racist than Howard, though certainly not free of it. Lots of orientalist tropes.)
Death to Machocracia
"We denounce the confrontation promoted by both the government and the coordinators for democracy; both want the power to continue their violent and predatory policies of our territories and our bodies, constantly threatening life. They say they are different, but their machismo, their authoritarianism, their vision of progress and development is the same. From our feminisms we know that none of these things form an alternative."
Wrote up all my nasty thoughts about eXistenZ (seriously, all 3.5k words of them), plus lots of pictures -- https://emreed.net/existenz.html
#caste101 If non-Indians want to understand India's caste system, this essay is a good entry point #india https://aeon.co/essays/how-india-deludes-itself-that-caste-discrimination-is-dead
ukpol, Jeremy Corbyn, humourous
If I didn't know better, I'd swear the UK media coverage of Corbyn was precision designed to turn me into a frothing Corbyn supporter.
Basically, if you take something I like, but am sensibly critical of, and start talking bollocks about it, my immediate response is *stanning intensifies.*
Take a hardworking, lefty politician and constantly smear him for years, while making out he's the second coming of Marx for policies that were pretty much standard Labour...
fangirling about marat/sade (3)
There's a 1967 film of Peter Brook's definitive English-language production that I very much recommend. Hard to find copies now, but it's up on YouTube:
fangirling about marat/sade (2)
- An ambivalent view of the Russian revolution. Marat as Lenin: an idealist and also a power-seeker; a paranoiac with real enemies.
- The hypocrisy of 1960s Austria. An uncomfortable past, filled with atrocities that "could not happen nowadays".
- Marat and de Sade as stand-ins for the author, breaking out of history to argue the principles at stake.
- Us, the bourgeois audience who are here to be entertained, playing the bourgeois audience come to Charenton to be entertained.
fangirling about marat/sade (1)
Re-reading Marat/Sade - still one of my favourite plays - and one of the things I love about it is how many layers of meta there are. You've got:
- The play-within-the-play of Marat and the failure of the French revolution.
- Coulmier as the "enlightened" post-revolutionary regime, trying to create a narrative that will impose order.
- De Sade, directing the play to amuse himself.
- The actor-inmates, breaking out of their roles to comment on their situation.
Older. Trans. She/her.
Cybrespace is an instance of Mastodon, a social network based on open web protocols and free, open-source software. It is decentralized like e-mail.